Fly Fisher, Entomologist, Guide, Instructor
Robert has been a guest lecturer across the Western United States on the topic of Aquatic Entomology and is a Master Fly Fishing Instructor. As a contributing writer to Field and Stream’s “Fly Talk” with “The Bug Guy” Robert offers helpful advice on entomology and fly selection to fly fishers all over the globe. Also look for Robert’s regular article: Hatch Happening: With The Bug Guy featured in Trout Magazine in every issue.
Robert is a Simms Ambassador and Orvis Endorsed Guide and has conducted entomology classes for both Simms and Orvis guides at their national gatherings, as well as for Trout Unlimited and other local organizations across the country.
Listen to Robert Younghanz's Show...
Bugs, Bugs and More Bugs
Robert Younghanz, a.k.a The Bug Guy, is an internationally known Aquatic Entomologist, Fly Fishing Guide and Instructor. Entomology plays a big part in being a successful fly fisher. Robert breaks down the different classes of insects that fly fishers are familiar with and helps you to identify and understand their life cycle. The more you know about how these bugs live and procreate the more fish you'll be bringing to the net.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What is the life cycle of a mayfly?
- Why is the life cycle of and insect important to fly fishers?
- Do you need to have flies that imitate each stage of the life cycle?
- What are the most important orders of insects for fly fishers?
- What is the largest order of insects?
- What is the life cycle of a caddis?
- What is the difference between complete metamorphosis and incomplete metamorphosis ?
- What insects are most common in lakes?
- Where is the best place to seine a river for bugs?
- What is the best way to learn about insects for fishing?
- How do you organize your fly boxes?
- Do you have different fly boxes for different seasons?
- When nothing else is working what fly would you use?
Look for Robert on World Fishing Network, The Fishful Thinker, on Altitude Sports, on ESPN Radio and in Rick Takahashi’s, Modern Terrestrials. Be sure and check out Robert’s nationally bestselling 2 set DVD: The Bug Guy: Entomology For The Fly Fisher. Additionally, Robert is the owner and lead instructor of the Colorado Fly Fishing Guide Academy, www.cffga.com. For more information go to Robert’s website: www.the-bug-guy.com.