Fly Fisher, Guide, Fly Tier
Rick Nyles has been fly fishing for over 40 years and started guiding in 1999. As the business grew, Rick decided to start Sky Blue Outfitters. Sky Blue has grown to be the most comprehensive guide service in Pennsylvania. His staff of 8 guides has well over 100 years of guiding experience and over 170 years of combined fly fishing in Pennsylvania. Sky Blue Outfitters offers day, drift boat, and overnight packaged trips in PA. Sky Blue has guided clients from all around the country. They host trips to Montana, Idaho, Baja, Labrador, Outer Banks, and New York.
Listen to Rick Nyles's Show...
Top Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Destinations
Rick Nyles started guiding in 1999 and has since grown his guide service to eight guides in Pennsylvania. His knowledge of Pennsylvania fisheries is deep and wide. Join us to talk about a few of the top Pennsylvania fisheries you want to add to your bucket list.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What books can you recommend that detail Pennsylvania waters?
- I'm coming to fish in Pennsylvania for the first time where should I go to maximize my trip?
- Where and when should I go to hit the Green Drake hatch?
- How do the state laws affect public access to the rivers and creeks?
- I want to swing wet flies to increase my fish numbers; where should I go to do this?
- What rivers or streams are the best for smallmouth bass fishing?
- What are the prime waters in the State College area?
- What's Penns Creek known for most?
- What are the top flies that you recommend for fishing Pennsylvania waters?
- What river would you fish in the Johnstone area?
- How do you get away from the crowds?
- What are the top rivers and creeks in Eastern Pennsylvania?
- What species of trout is Pennsylvania known most for?
- What are your tips for fishing the Lehigh River?
Rick is an accomplished fly tier who is known for his CDC patterns, his simple approach to fly tying, and fishing techniques. Rick placed 3rd in the ORVIS fly tying contest by entering his unique Green Drake pattern. Rick developed and started selling his own wing material called UP DN TROUT. The material is a great alternative to CDC and has similar floating characteristic. Another benefit is it is easier to use then CDC.