Michele White is a retired international exploration geologist. She owns Tumbling Trout fly shop in Lake George, Colorado, and is a professional fly fishing guide. She has been fly fishing and rowing a dory (she is a certified boat handler) on the great rivers of the west for 25 years. Michele White is VP of Financial Development for Pikes Peak Chapter of Trout Unlimited and volunteers on many regional river conservation events. She's a retired geologist and writes articles about the outdoors, most of which have been published in Mountain Gazette. She is the author of 5 books.
Listen to Michele White's Shows...
Lesser Known Fly Fishing Venues in South Park
Michele White, a professional guide in Lake George, Colorado, has extensively explored, fished and documented the tributaries of the South Platte River in South Park. South Park is home to Lake George, the Tarryall River, Lost Creek, Tomahawk, Badger Basin and the headwaters of the South Platte River. Listen in to this podcast if you're looking for fishing locations that are less pressured than the South Platte River but still in easy reach of the Denver metro area.
Subaru-able Brookie Venues in South Park Colorado
Michele White's home range is South Park, Colorado where she guides out of her fly shop Tumbling Trout. South Park is known for the Dream Stream and Eleven Mile Canyon but there are many other beautiful places to fish. The Mosquito Range, Tarryall Mountains, and the tributaries of the South Fork and Middle Fork of the South Platte River offer engaging brook trout fishing with incredible scenery. Join us to learn more about what South Park has to offer fly fishers.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What do you mean by Subaru-Able venues?
- Are brook trout reallyl trout?
- What types of trout do you find at the higher elevations?
- What is the accessibility to streams like?
- What are the best months to fish South Park?
- What weight and length of rod do you use?
- Do you use Tenkara rods?
- What flies do you use for brookies?
- What is the best approach to small streams?
- What types of casts do you use?
- What are the northern tributaries like?
- How accessible are the tributaries of the Middle Fork of the South Platte?
- What do the tributarties of the South Fork offer the fly fisher?
Michele's publications include:
- Colorado Mountain Dogs, published by WestWinds Press, 2014
- Comeback Wolves: Western Writers Speak for Wolves in the Southern Rockies, published by Johnson Books, 2005
- Hell's Half Mile: River Runners' Tales of Hilarity and Misadventure, published by Breakaway Books, 2004
- Eulogies and Dead Horses - essays about life while fishing and working as a geologist
- Between the Rivers, - fly fishing stories with fellow authors, Al Marlowe and Karen Christopherson
- Lesser Known Fly Fishing Venues in South Park, Barnes & Noble, 2020
- Joe Schmo Can Catch a Big Fish - Insights From a 61-Year Old River Woman, Barnes & Noble, 2021
- Subaru-Able Brookie Venues in South Parl, Colorado - Easily Drive, Park & Fly Fish the High Country, Barnes & Noble, 2022