Fly Fisher, Guide, Author
Kip Vieth is the owner of Wildwood Float Trips based in Monticello, MN and was the 2017 Orvis Freshwater Guide of the Year. He is also the author of The Orvis Guide to Muskie on the Fly. Kip has been fly fishing for over 30 years and cut his teeth pursuing trout on the Spring Creeks of the Driftless region in Southwest Wisconsin. Now living in Minnesota, Kip guides for a multitude of species from Driftless Trout to Smallmouth Bass and Muskies.
Listen to Kip Vieth's Show...
Kip Vieth, a professional guide in Minnesota and winner of the 2017 Orvis Guide of the Year, loves fly fishing for Muskies. Muskies are finicky, to say the least. Known as the fish of ten thousand casts you can bet you'll have to work for yours. Kip will help us all learn more about Muskies including where they live, what they eat, what triggers them to bite, how to rig your terminal tackle for success, presentation strategies, and of course how to close the deal. Join us to learn Kip's secrets to success!
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- Are muskies really the fish of 10,000 casts?
- What are the strength and weaknesses of fly fishing versus conventional fishing?
- What makes a rod a good muskie fly rod?
- What type of line do you use and what is your terminal tackle setup?
- What are the advantages of articulated flies?
- Do you need high flies for muskies?
- How do the primary lies change for muskies from summer to fall?
- If you get a follow but no bite what changes do you make?
- Do the moon phases affect the musky bite?
- Is sight fishing an effective method for muskies?
- When is the best time of day to target muskies?
The Upper Midwest offers some of the greatest cold and warm water fisheries in the world. He offers a western-style fishing experience with drift boat floats down the Midwest‘s many rivers and streams. Wildwood Float Trips is also the outfitter for the Orvis Muskie School and Kip is an Orvis Fly Designer. Kip and his business have been featured on Minnesota Bound, Orvis Outdoor Adventures, The Drake, Orvis Blog, Outdoor News, Midwest Fly Fishing and Eastern, Southwest and Northwest Fly Fishing Magazines.