Charlie Leslie Sr.
Fly Fisher, Fly Tier, Guide
Charles Leslie Sr. is from the village of Placencia in the Stann Creek District of Belize.
Guiding by age nineteen, he has over 50 years of experience fishing the waters of Belize and is considered one of the most knowledgeable and respected guides in the country. Charlie was introduced to fly fishing in the 70’s by Lefty Kreh and is now a master of casting and fly presentation to permit, tarpon and bonefish.
Charlie’s approach to fishing is based on the tides, weather, migratory patterns and other conditions to ensure that his clients have the best opportunities to land the fish of a lifetime. Charlie recognizes that sport fishing and eco-tourism are key to Belize’s future and as such he is a responsible steward of the environment and the fishery.
Learn more by visiting Charlie Leslie Fly Fishing.
Listen to Charlie Leslie Sr.'s Show...
Fly Fishing Southern Belize
Charles Leslie started guiding in Belize when he was 19 years old. He learned to fly fish from Lefty Kreh and over the past 50 years he's become a master of casting and fly presentation to permit, tarpon, bonefish and snook. Join us to learn Charlie's approach to fishing which is based on the tides, weather, migratory patterns and other conditions that ensure you have the best opportunity to land the fish of a lifetime. Learn more by visiting Charlie Leslie Fly Fishing.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What are the differences in fishing Southern versus Northern Belize?
- What are the best times of year to fish Southern Belize?
- Do you need to be a good caster to fish for permit, bonefish, tarpon and snook?
- What's the secret to casting in the wind?
- Where are the best places to fish for bonefish?
- How do you present your flies to bonefish?
- Where are the best places to fish for snook?
- What are the best flies for snook?
- Where do you find migrating tarpon?
- What is the best way to fish gummy minnows for tarpon?
- When fishing for permit do you wade the flats or fish from the boat?
- What should you consider when presenting your fly to a permit?
- What's the secret to getting a good hook set with a permit?