Fly Fisher, Fly Designer, Writer, Author
Bob Mallard has fly fished for over forty years. He is a former fly shop owner and a Registered Maine Fishing Guide. Bob is a blogger, writer, author, and fly designer. His writing, photographs, and flies have been featured at the local, regional, and national level. Bob is also a founding member and Executive Director for Native Fish Coalition. Look for his books 50 Best Places Fly Fishing the Northeast, 25 Best Towns Fly Fishing for Trout, Squaretail: The Definitive Guide to Brook Trout and Where to Find Them, Favorite Flies for Maine: 50 Essential Patterns From Local Experts and Fly Fishing Maine: Local Experts on the State’s Best Waters. Bob can be reached at BobMallard.com or Info@
Listen to Bob Mallard's Shows...
Brook Trout: Conservation & Fishing
Bob Mallard is an authority on brook trout and contributes to many of the conservation efforts that are in place today. Brook trout are native to the Eastern United States and were an important gamefish for early anglers. Listen to this podcast to hear about the history, conservation efforts, fly fishing techniques and where to find brook trout today.
Fly Fishing Maine
Bob Mallard has fly fished and guided the Maine waters for over 40 years. Maine has the most diverse fly fishing opportunities in New England and is a popular destination for anglers seeking trout, landlocked salmon, striped bass, and a host of other game fish. Join us and explore the rivers, streams, ponds and lakes of this magnificent state.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- How did you decide what waters to include in your book Fly Fishing Maine?
- What fish species are available to fly fishers in Maine?
- What are the top species fly fishers target?
- What are the top rivers to fish in Maine?
- What are the State Heritage Fish Waters?
- What waters qualify for fly fishing only?
- When is the black fly hatch most prevalent?
- What's causing the decline of landlocked salmon?
- Where do 90% of the native brook trout live?
- Is Artic Char the new "bucket list" fish?
- What fly rods and lines do you recommend?
- What is public access like to the rivers, lakes, and ponds?
- How are striped bass fairing in Maine?