South Florida's Fishing Paradise
Fly Fisher, Author, Publisher, Travel Coordinator
Jim, the founder of Sweet Waters Adventure, has fished worldwide but finds South Florida one of his favorites. His fishing adventures from Sanibel to the tarpon capital of the world—Boca Grande—to rivers like the Manatee River and the Little Manatee in Manatee County, the Myakka River in Sarasota County, and the Peace River, which teemed with fish. Join us to talk with Jim about fishing these diverse fisheries and fishing with a colorful cast of characters like Fat Wally, Dick Clevenger, and Frank the Net.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What inspired you to write your book South Florida's Fishing Paradise?
- What are some of the differences between the East and West coasts?
- How did you get started fly fishing in Florida?
- What was your first experience catching a fish on the fly?
- Who was Dick Clevenger and how did he shape your fishing?
- What was Boca Grande like back in the 70s?
- Who was Frank the Net?
- What makes Charolette Harbor such an interesting fishery?
- Where should one go to fish South Flordia water without a guide?
- Why have East Coast tarpon become so difficult to catch?
- Where can one find the best fishing in Florida now?
- If you were to move to Florida what would be the best place for fishing?
- Why have Florida fisheries deteriorated?
- What can be done to improve the fisheries in Florida?
Learn more about Jim Stenson...