Sheepshead On The Fly In Southwest Florida
Fly Fisher, Fly Tier, Guide★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Captain Codty Pierce, a professional fly fishing guide, grew up on the southwest coast of Florida and knows the waters there better than most. His target in the winter when the waters cool are sheepshead also known as convict fish because of their vivid stripes. Sheepshead have developed a reputation that rivals permit, they are hard to catch on a fly but are super exciting because you are sight fishing to tailing fish on shallow oyster beds and can see the take. Join us to learn Codty's techniques for hooking up with these challenging fish.
Questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What is the average size of a sheepshead?
- Where do you find sheepshead?
- What type of water do they inhabit?
- What's the best time of year to catch the larger sheepshead?
- What do they eat?
- What fly patterns work best?
- How should you present your flies to get good takes?
Learn more about Codty Pierce...