Olympic National Forest Steelhead
Fly Fisher, Guide, Instructor, Writer★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Lael, a professional guide in Washington, lives and breathes steelhead fishing in the Olympic National Forest. A steelhead catch is something that will change you as a person during and for sure after the fight, whether you win or lose the first battle. Join us to learn Lael’s secrets to success for steelhead!
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What makes the Olympic National Forest so special?
- What differences are there between wild and hatchery steelhead?
- What is the best time of year to fish for steelhead?
- What are the differences between the types of rivers in the area?
- What are the differences between fishing with a single-handed rod and spey rod?
- What type of line do you use and what types of tips do you use?
- What are the ideal types of flies and what makes them stand out to the fish?
- What method works best for steelhead nymphing or swing flies?
- How is the take different between nymphs and streamers that you swing?
- What do you recommend for clothing when fishing in the winter?
- Do the moon phases and weather affect the steelhead bite?
- What is the health and status of Olympic National Forest steelhead?
Learn more about Lael Johnson...