Fly Fisher/Fly Tier/Guide/Author★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Landon Mayer spends hundreds of hours each year on the water guiding his clients to trophy trout. He doesn't have time to tie complex time-consuming patterns so he ties simple easy-to-tie fly patterns that get the job done, day in and day out. Join us to learn about Landon's top patterns and how he fishes them to catch trout around the world.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What makes a great guide fly?
- What's your thought process when designing your fly patterns?
- What materials do you consistently try to incorporate into your patterns?
- What suggestions do you have for paring down the number of flies you carry to the water?
- Do you have a core set of guide flies that you use year-round or do you have different selections for the different seasons?
- Do you have a secret pattern that is not in the book?
- Do you think adding UV or hot spots to a fly makes a difference?
- How do you prepare for your day on the water - rods, rigs, flies, presentations?
- What are your favorite techniques for stillwater?
- What methods do you use to get your flies to the right depth?
- What fly do you think is deadly that is not a guide fly?
- What do you do when a larger fish chases a smaller fish that you have hooked up?
- What fly do you go to most often to catch fish?
Learn more about Landon Mayer...
Listen to other shows with Landon Mayer…