Fly Fishing The Island of Hokkaido, Japan
Fly Fisher, Journalist
Rick Wallace is a well-traveled Australian fly fisher who lived and fished the island of Hokkaido, Japan extensively for four years. Unknown to many fly fishers taimen, rainbow trout, char and salmon are all prime targets on the island of Hokkaido. Taimen can get as large as one meter! Listen in to learn more about this fishery and find out where, when and how to fish this northernmost island in Japan.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What fly fishing opportunities are there on the island?
- Where is the best place to stay on Hokkaido?
- What is the best time of year to fish on the island?
- Is the taimen found on Hokkaido similar to those in Mongolia?
- What is the best way to fish for taimen?
- What flies do you use for taimen?
- Where do you fish for rainbows and char?
- When is the best time to fish for salmon?
To hire local Japanese guides for fishing on Hokkaido visit Trout & King.
Learn more about Rick Wallace...