Top Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Destinations
Fly Fisher, Guide, Fly Tier
Rick Nyles started guiding in 1999 and has since grown his guide service to eight guides in Pennsylvania. His knowledge of Pennsylvania fisheries is deep and wide. Join us to talk about a few of the top Pennsylvania fisheries you want to add to your bucket list.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What books can you recommend that detail Pennsylvania waters?
- I'm coming to fish in Pennsylvania for the first time where should I go to maximize my trip?
- Where and when should I go to hit the Green Drake hatch?
- How do the state laws affect public access to the rivers and creeks?
- I want to swing wet flies to increase my fish numbers; where should I go to do this?
- What rivers or streams are the best for smallmouth bass fishing?
- What are the prime waters in the State College area?
- What's Penns Creek known for most?
- What are the top flies that you recommend for fishing Pennsylvania waters?
- What river would you fish in the Johnstone area?
- How do you get away from the crowds?
- What are the top rivers and creeks in Eastern Pennsylvania?
- What species of trout is Pennsylvania known most for?
- What are your tips for fishing the Lehigh River?
More about Rick Nyles...
Listen to the Show...
Fly Fishing for Monster Browns on Streamers
Fly Fisher, Fly Tier, Guide
Christy McReynolds knows how to hook up with monster brown trout on the fly. She’s a lifelong angler and has developed her skills on the South Holston and Watauga Rivers in East Tennessee, where she and her husband Jason run their guide service FlyingSoHo. Join us and learn her secrets to finding, hooking up, and landing these fish of a lifetime.
More about Christy McReynolds...
Ask Christy McReynolds your most important questions on fly fishing for monster browns on streamers...
Register for our free drawing.
7:00 PM (MT)
Fly Fishing Tailwaters
Pat Dorsey shares his tips and tactics for fishing tailwaters. Don't miss this show he'll cover nymphing, dry-fly and streamer fishing for those difficult, hard to catch lunkers.Tailwaters
Aaron Jasper is known for finding and hooking up with big fish and what better place to do this than tailwaters. Most of the world's tailwaters can be fished any time of the year so listen in as Aaron shares his tips and tactics for fishing these super productive waters.Cruising for Carp
Paul Rose was sight fishing for tailing carp before it was “hip”. He's tackled all the challenges associated with these freshwater bonefish and considers these explorations with his clients the basis for their saltwater training school. Listen in to learn about fly fishing for carp - something you can do almost anywhere in the world.Fly Fishing For King Salmon In Alaska
Pete has fished all over the world and has 4 IGFA world records on the fly as proof of his expertise. Join us on this podcast and learn about fly fishing for the king of north the Alaskan king salmon.Building Bamboo Fly Rods
Ray Gould has been building bamboo fly rods since 1958. Join us to hear this master rod builder talk about the machines and tools necessary, selecting cane, creating precise tapers, step-by-step construction, finishing steps, and many more tips on building bamboo rods.Steelhead of the Dean River
April Vokey, a professional guide and fly fishing instructor, has been pursuing the elusive steelhead most of her life. The Dean River in British Columbia is world renowned for having some of the strongest fish in the world. Listen in to hear how April fishes this great river for one of the most challenging fish the steelhead.Fly Fishing And The Transformative Power Of Nature
John Dietsch, a stuntman for Brad Pitt and fly fishing coordinator for the film A River Runs Through It, talks about our connection to the outdoors through the prism of fly fishing and investigates its transformative and healing powers. Join us and explore your connection.
Questions asked and answered during the interview:
Smallmouth Bass with a Big Bite!
- How did you get started in fly fishing movie production?
- Who was your mentor?
- What tasks did you have as Department Head of Fly Fishing for A River Runs Through It?
- Who did the shadowcasting in the film?
- Where did the idea come from for the final fishing scene?
- How did you get the fish to rise for the fly?
- Why were you chosen as Brad Pit's stunt double?
- How did working on this film change your life and what fly fishing means to you?
- How does the river speak to you?
Randy Ratliff's home waters are in Eastern Tennessee and he's fished these waters most of his life. An Orvis endorsed professional guide Randy knows what it takes to get smallmouth bass on the fly. Listen in and learn Randy's secrets for hooking up with the smallies with a big bite.Lake Fishing with Damsels and Dragons
Richard Pilatzke an expert on rocky mountain lake fishing loves fishing with damsel and dragonflies. Learn Rich's techniques for tying and fishing these favorite morsels that fish devour.DIY Fly Fishing Vacations
Rod Hamilton has been helping fly fishers find the best do it yourself locations for many years. He's traveled the world looking for locations that have local fishing experts that can be called upon for help, accurate fishing reports, vacation rental properties and other points of interest you may want to explore. Many times it's not easy to find these locations but Rod has made it happen. Join us and help me pick Rods brain on how to make a do it yourself fishing vacation a memorable one.Angling Approaches for Streams
Learn from Jason Borger techniques for getting to those hard to reach fish and tips on making those perfect casts. He will focus specifically on mending, approach and presentation, and ways to fish the fly to both trout and smallmouth bass.Casting, Mending, and Presentation for Difficult Angling Situations
The challenge of fly fishing can increase dramatically when conditions become difficult. Whether it be due to weather, water, cover, hatches, distance, or a combination of those factors, when the angling gets tough, it pays to have a few tricks up your sleeve. Learn from Jason about ways to make difficult angling situations easier and more productive.Yellowstone Runners
Chester Allen has fished the migration run of the rainbow and brown trout from Montana’s Hebgen Lake into Yellowstone National Park’s Madison River during the fall for many years. Join us and learn about where to fish, what flies to use, and how to find the best water for very large trout!Competitive Fly Fishing
Devin Olsen qualified for his 10th consecutive berth on Fly Fishing Team USA in 2018 and has traveled the world competing and winning. Join us on this podcast to learn how to get started in competitive fly fishing and what you need to do to be the best and compete with the best.Nautilus Reels – Striving for Excellence
Kristen Mustad, the owner of Nautilus Reels, has brought his company to the forefront of the fly fishing industry. His innovations drive the market and stand out above the crowd. Listen in to hear how he built his company, designs and tests his reels and consistently strives for excellence.
Questions asked and answered during the interview:
- How did you get started in the fly fishing reel business?
- What made you decide to reinvent the company?
- How did you differentiate your self in the beginning days?
- What were the biggest design breakthroughs you had?
- What reel model do you consider the most versatile?
- How do you test your reels?
- Why do large arbor reels make more sense?
- What qualifications do your people have that make the reels?
- Where do you see Nautilus in the future of the industry?
Learn more about fly fishing and listen to our podcasts by these top experts...Join Us on Our Next LIVE Broadcast!
Enter your information to get notified of our upcoming information packed interviews.
The Orvis Guide to Prospecting for Trout: How to Catch Fish When There's No Hatch to Match, Revised EditionCopyright © 2022 Ask About Fly Fishing | As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases through links from this website.