Daniel Ritz Attempts Western Native Trout Challenge
Fly Fisher, Writer, Jounalist
Daniel Ritz is fly fishing across the Western United States in an attempt to accomplish the Master Caster class of the Western Native Trout Challenge. His goal is to land each of the 20 native trout species in their historical ranges of the 12 states in the West. Join us to find out how Daniel is doing with the challenge, learn about what it takes to participate and hear about a few experiences he's had along the way. Maybe you'll get inspired and want to try it yourself!
More about Daniel Ritz...
Listen to the Show...
Randy Wayne White Tells All (maybe)
Fly Fisher, Writer, Author
Randy Wayne White is a New York Times bestselling author of forty-five novels. Randy was a light tackle fishing guide at Tarpon Bay Marina, Sanibel Island for 13-years, did more than 3,000 charters, and draws heavily on those experiences for his novels about marine biologist Doc Ford and his quirky pals at Dinkin's Bay. His series of novels about fishing guide Hannah Smith has also received critical acclaim. Join us to learn about Randy's writing career, how he started, where he gets ideas, what motivates him and of course they'll be a few humorous stories about his travels in the fishing world.
More about Randy White...
Ask Randy White your most important questions on writing, fishing and life...
Register for our free drawing.
7:00 PM (MT)
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing
Chris Leonard has been guiding and teaching fly fishing in the Mammoth Lakes, California area since 2005. Mammoth Lakes is well known for its ski area but it also hosts some great fisheries. Hot Creek, the Owens River, the San Joaquin River, Rock Creek, Rush Creek and Crowley Lake are some of Chris's favorites. Listen in and learn about these eastern Sierra fisheries and how to best fish these waters.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
Fly Fishing for Alaska's Arctic Grayling
- When is the best time of year to fish the Mammoth Lakes rivers, creeks and lakes?
- What is the difference between fishing the Upper and Lower Owens River?
- What river has Golden Trout in it?
- What makes Hot Creek so special?
- Is Tenkara a good system to use on these fisheries?
- What river is known for its hopper fishing?
- What river can you get a grand slam on?
- What's the best way to find fish in Crowley Lake?
- Can you fish Crowley Lake from a float tube?
- What flies work best on these waters?
Pudge Kleinkauf has been fly fishing for arctic grayling for thirty years. As a professional guide she understands these fish and knows what it takes to find and hook up with the trophies. Listen in to hear her secrets to catching these beautiful fish.The Evolution of Nymphing
Aaaron Jasper goes where the fish are and most of the time it’s under the surface. He’s spent the last few years studying, researching and testing old and new nymphing methods. On this show we explore many of those methods including the latest in European nymphing techniques.The Hunt For Giant Trout
Landon Mayer has fished and researched many of the best places to catch giant trout. Fishing locations from Alaska to Maine Landon has created the ultimate bucket list of places to fish. Join us and discover what makes these fisheries so special and learn the secrets to catching monster trout.Fly Fishing For Trophy Trout On Stillwaters
Denny has been fishing, guiding and studying trout behavior for the past 30 years. He's an expert on fish lakes and has developed a selection of suggestive flies that put the trophy trout on the take. Join us on this podcast to hear about Denny's latest new techniques on fishing lakes.The Madison – A River of Many Faces
Brian McGeehan has been a professional fly fishing guide since 1995 and considers the rivers of southern Montana his home waters. Listen in to hear how to fish the Madison River - a river that will always challenge you and show you a different face at every turn.Colorado's Roaring Fork River
Tim Heng has fished the Roaring Fork River in Colorado for 30 years. Learn all about fly fishing the Roaring Fork and the secrets of hooking up with the lunkers that call it home..Steelhead on the Fly
Dec was a professional steehead guide for 14 years, now he fly fishes just for fun. Listen in to hear Dec's secrets to hooking up with the steelhead of your dreams.Fly Fishing the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry
Wendy Gunn, a professoinal guide on the Colorado River, introduces you to fly fishing Lee's Ferry. This tailwater, just below Glenn Canyon Dam and at the start of the Grand Canyon, is one of the most beautiful places on earth to fish. Learn Wendy's secrets to catching the trophy trout that make this place their home.Fly Fishing the Green River
Kevin Clegg, a professional guide, has been guiding on the Green River in Utah for over 20 years. His knowledge of this exquisite fishery is deep and wide. Outstanding fly fishing and scenery make this fishery one for your bucket list. Join us as Kevin shares his secrets about this great piece of water.The Art Of Fly Tying
Rick Takahashi is well known in the fly fishing world as a top fly tyer combining his background in color and design theory as well as on the water testing to create flies that look great and fish great. Join us to learn how Rick approaches his art form and learn his tips of the trade.Smallmouth Bass Top To Bottom
Jake Villwock is a professional guide working in Pennsylvania. He hooks up his clients everyday with big smallmouth bass. Listen in and learn about the flies he uses, how he ties them and how he uses them to catch trophy smallies.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
Fly Fishing Florida’s Largemouth Bass
- Do smallmouth prefer living in pods or are they a solitary fish?
- Do smallmouth hold in similar lies as trout?
- What is a good weight rod, line, leader and tippet for smallmouth?
- Why do you use swivels in your terminal tackle setup?
- If you could only have one surface fly and one streamer for smallies what would they be?
- What are the trigger colors for smallmouth flies?
- Do you use weed guards on your flies?
- What topwater flies do you use besides poppers?
- What color combinations work best for streamers?
- What crayfish patterns do you like?
- What color is a must have on your crayfish patterns?/li>
- How do you fish crayfish patterns on the bottom?
- When an how do you fish crayfish patterns mid-column?
- Do bigger flies attract larger fish?
Debbie Hanson, a professional guide in southwest Florida, specialized in getting her clients hooked up with Florida’s strain of largemouth bass. These bass are different than the strains in the north and many consider them the monsters of largemouth bass. Listen in to learn about these bass and how to hook up with what may be your trophy bass of a lifetime.
Pike On The Fly
- What makes the Florida strain of largemouth bass different?
- What is the best place to fish for trophies in Florida?
- Does the Florida strain exist in other states?
- What are the factors that contribute to the growth of trophy-sized bass?
- Where do you look for the larger bass?
- What are the most effective flies to use for largemouth bass?
- How deep do you fish?
- What's the best time of day to fish?
- What fly did you catch your trophy largemouth on?
Barry Reynolds knowledge of pike and musky is amazing. Listen in to this podcast as Barry covers your questions on fly fishing for pike and musky covering habitat, gear, flies and tactics - get ready for some explosive answers.Classic Salmon Flies
Kevin Erickson has been tying and exploring the world of classic salmon flies for over 40 years. Tune in to hear a bit of history, tying tips and the stories behind many of the beautiful feathers that are used.
Learn more about fly fishing and listen to our podcasts by these top experts...Join Us on Our Next LIVE Broadcast!
Enter your information to get notified of our upcoming information packed interviews.
Copyright © 2021 Ask About Fly Fishing | As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases through links from this website.