Strategies & Techniques for Stillwaters
Fly Fisher/Fly Tier/Author
Denny Rickards has been studying trout behavior in stillwaters for over 40 years. He's always learning new things about the aquatic life forms that trout eat and then develops strategies and techniques he can use to mimic their activity. Join us on this podcast to hear about Denny's latest new findings which will help you to catch more fish in stillwaters.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What is the best time of day to fish stillwaters?
- How do you change your tactics throughout the day?
- Will you have more success if you fish from a kick boat or float tube than from shore?
- Are depth finders useful?
- Do you use UV materials in your flies?
- What are the three most important design aspect of flies?
- What type of line do you use and what types of tips do you use?
- What development stage of insects gets more strikes larva, pupa or adults?
- What is the best way to fish pupa?
- How do you determine what depth the fish are at?
- What is the most productive depth for getting strikes?
- If a fish follows your fly will it strike on a follow-up cast?
More about Denny Rickards...
Listen to the Show...
Skeena River - Steelhead Dreams
Fly Fisher, Guide, Fly Tier
Gill Mckean has been guiding on the world-famous Skeena River for more than 25 years. He’s guided a client to massive steelhead estimated at 34 pounds and has personally landed many in the 30-pound range. Join us to learn from Gill about this incredible fishery and of course how to land that steelhead of a lifetime.
More about Gill Mckean...
Ask Gill Mckean your most important questions on fly fishing the Skeena River...
Register for our free drawing.
7:00 PM (MT)
- Campeche's Baby Tarpon
Baby tarpon are not as small as you might think - 10, 20 or 30 pound fish are always a blast on a fly rod. Join Brian O'Keefe as he shares his expertise in hunting down baby tarpon on the flats of Campeche, Mexico.Fly Fishing the Frying Pan River
Tim Heng has fished just about every inch of the Frying Pan River in Colorado and has been doing it for almost 30 years. Learn all about the Frying Pan and the secrets of hooking up with its big trout.Kootenai River- Big, Bold and Beautiful
Dave Blackburn has been fishing and guiding the Kootenai River in Montana for over 25 years. If you want to know how to fish and where to fish on this great western trout river listen in and Dave will share his hard earned secrets.Fly Fishing the Finger Lakes Region of New York
Mike Hogue, a professional fly tier and fly shop owner, has fished the Finger Lakes region of New York for over 25 years. The lakes, unique unto themselves in beauty, offer salmon, rainbow trout and lake trout all available on the fly. Listen in as Mike takes us on a tour of this unusual fishing destination and shares his secrets to success in fishing in this area.
Effective Nymphing Techniques for Streams and Rivers
- What finger lakes are the most important for fly fishing?
- Do you fish both the lakes, streams and tributaries?
- What species of fish can be targeted with a fly?
- What lake should you fish if you want to catch a Lake Trout on the fly?
- Are there migratory rainbow runs on all the lakes?
- What time of year do each of the migratory runs happen?
- Which lake has the famous Brown Drake hatch?
- What type of boat is the best to use on the lakes?
- What type and size of flies work best for the salmon?
Eric Pettine starting fly fishing long before strike indicators entered the scene and developed his nymphing techniques based upon close attention to the habits of trout. Eric shares his secrets and details his shallow, medium depth and deep water techniques including leader, tippet, weight and fly selection.Top Ten Smallmouth Bass Flies and How to Fish Them
Brad Miller has fished smallmouth for over thirty years on some of the most hallowed waters in the Midwest and Canada. If you want to catch more smallmouth listen in as Brad goes through the top ten flies that have been written about, tested and voted upon by guides, experts and everyday anglers. He'll tell you what they are and how to fish them.Fly Fishing Stillwaters with Chironomids
Phil Rowley is well known for his mastery of lake fishng. In this show you'll learn Phil's secrets and techniques to fly fishing for trout with Chironomids and other hot flies.Fly Fishing the Upper Delaware River
Paul Weamer has spent over decade fishing the Upper Delaware River watershed where the trout are large, wild, and highly selective. Be sure to listen in to find out about this great fishery and the special techniques used to hook up with the trophies.Tying & Fishing Deer Hair Flies
Tim Jacobs uses many different materials to tie his flies but deer hair is his favorite. Whether it's trout or warmwater species deer hair flies can produce. Join us to learn about Tim's secrets to tying and fishing deer hair flies.Tying & Fishing Small Flies
Ed Engle specializes in tying and fishing small flies. Imitating small insects takes extra care and presenting those tiny flies, detecting the strikes and how to best play a trout on a small fly are all part of fishing small flies. Join us to learn Ed's secrets to accomplishing this.Fly Fishing For Trophy Trout On Stillwaters
Denny has been fishing, guiding and studying trout behavior for the past 30 years. He's an expert on fish lakes and has developed a selection of suggestive flies that put the trophy trout on the take. Join us on this podcast to hear about Denny's latest new techniques on fishing lakes.The Feather Thief
Kirk Johnson is the author of the true-crime adventure “The Feather Thief”. Intrigued by the theft of hundreds of rare bird specimens from the Tring museum in England, Kirk journeys into the underground world of fanatical fly tiers and plume peddlers looking for the truth behind why the theft took place and what happened to all the birds that were stolen. Join us and hear the story that has drawn so many readers to this great book.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
Brook Trout: Conservation & Fishing
- How did the heist go down?
- Who was Alfred Russel Wallace and what did he have to do with the heist?
- How did Edwin Rist get involved tying classic salmon flies?
- What was the value of the stolen birds?
- How were the stolen birds and feathers sold?
- Were the buyers of the stolen goods complicit?
- Did Rist have an accomplice?
- Was the heist planned?
- How did the judge rule when Rist when to court?
- Did Rist show any remorse about what he had done?
- Were the stolen birds ever recovered?
Bob Mallard is an authority on brook trout and contributes to many of the conservation efforts that are in place today. Brook trout are native to the Eastern United States and were an important gamefish for early anglers. Listen to this podcast to hear about the history, conservation efforts, fly fishing techniques and where to find brook trout today.Single-Handed Fly Casting - A Modular Approach
Jason Borger knows fly casting he was almost born with a fly rod in his hand. Through slow motion video he's broken down the elements of making the perfect cast and uses it teach others. Join us and find out about Jason's modular approach to learning fly casting.Cutthroat on the Upper Snake River
Paul Bruun has fly fished and guided on the Upper Snake River for over 35 years. His understanding of his home waters and the native cutthroat trout are second to none. Listen in to learn about fly fishing this incredible water for an incredible fish.
Learn more about fly fishing and listen to our podcasts by these top experts...Join Us on Our Next LIVE Broadcast!
Enter your information to get notified of our upcoming information packed interviews.Copyright © 2021 Ask About Fly Fishing | As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases through links from this website.