Top Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Destinations
Fly Fisher, Guide, Fly Tier
Rick Nyles started guiding in 1999 and has since grown his guide service to eight guides in Pennsylvania. His knowledge of Pennsylvania fisheries is deep and wide. Join us to talk about a few of the top Pennsylvania fisheries you want to add to your bucket list.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What books can you recommend that detail Pennsylvania waters?
- I'm coming to fish in Pennsylvania for the first time where should I go to maximize my trip?
- Where and when should I go to hit the Green Drake hatch?
- How do the state laws affect public access to the rivers and creeks?
- I want to swing wet flies to increase my fish numbers; where should I go to do this?
- What rivers or streams are the best for smallmouth bass fishing?
- What are the prime waters in the State College area?
- What's Penns Creek known for most?
- What are the top flies that you recommend for fishing Pennsylvania waters?
- What river would you fish in the Johnstone area?
- How do you get away from the crowds?
- What are the top rivers and creeks in Eastern Pennsylvania?
- What species of trout is Pennsylvania known most for?
- What are your tips for fishing the Lehigh River?
More about Rick Nyles...
Listen to the Show...
Fly Fishing for Monster Browns on Streamers
Fly Fisher, Fly Tier, Guide
Christy McReynolds knows how to hook up with monster brown trout on the fly. She’s a lifelong angler and has developed her skills on the South Holston and Watauga Rivers in East Tennessee, where she and her husband Jason run their guide service FlyingSoHo. Join us and learn her secrets to finding, hooking up, and landing these fish of a lifetime.
More about Christy McReynolds...
Ask Christy McReynolds your most important questions on fly fishing for monster browns on streamers...
Register for our free drawing.
7:00 PM (MT)
Gary Borger discusses the how, when, where and why to develop the ideal equipment selection strategy for your fly fishing. Whether it be rod action, flexion profile, reel characteristics or leader construction Gary has an opinion based on a lifetime of experience, listen in and hear what he has to say.Seasons of the Arkansas River
Taylor Edrington, a professional guide, literally grew up on the Arkansas River in Colorado. His lifetime of experience on the river is invaluable to any fly fisher wanting to conquer this great river. Join us as Taylor walks us through the different seasons and how to effectively fish those seasons.Fly Fishing for Largemouth Bass
Hooking up with largemouth bass is exciting and definitely splashy. Ken Hanley will tell you exactly how to get them on a fly using special techniques and hot fly patterns.Designing and Building a Great Fly Rod
Jeff Blood a lifelong fly fisher talks about what it takes to design and build a commercial fly rod. He'll dispell the myths and sweep away the smoke and mirrors of advertising to get down to what really makes a fly rod great.Angling Approaches for Streams
Learn from Jason Borger techniques for getting to those hard to reach fish and tips on making those perfect casts. He will focus specifically on mending, approach and presentation, and ways to fish the fly to both trout and smallmouth bass.Tenkara's Evolution
Daniel Galhardo brought Tenkara fly fishing to North America and has introduced a new an exciting way to fly fish. Learn about the history and fishing in Japan that inspired him to create a company based on Tenkara. Daniel will also share how he started and built his business into the success it is today.Salt Water's Greatest Gamefish
Tom Boyd has fished the salt for more than 50 years and has done exhaustive research on saltwater fish behavior, spawning, migration patterns and baitfish. Listen in to hear Tom talk about some of the greatest gamefish and how to catch them on a fly.Fly Fishing the Frying Pan River
Tim Heng has fished just about every inch of the Frying Pan River in Colorado and has been doing it for almost 30 years. Learn all about the Frying Pan and the secrets of hooking up with its big trout.Fly Fishing Tips for Trout, Bass and Panfish
Over the many years that Skip Morris has fished and written about fly fishing he's uncovered many nuggets of information that have helped him and others to catch more fish. Whether it's trout, bass or panfish Skip has something to share that will improve your odds. Listen to this podcast and up your game!Siberian Taimen The Legend Of Russia's Rivers
Rene Limeres has spent hundreds of hours guiding and fishing for the legendary taimen in Russia. Learn from Rene about this unusual fish and what it takes to hook and land fish that can get up to 200 pounds.What Fly for What Bug?
Peter Stitcher is an aquatic biologist who knows what flies work best to imitate the stage of insects in their lifecycle. Are you ever confused about what file to use when? Join us to learn about the lifecycles of the most common insects we encounter on rivers and lakes and how to pick the perfect fly for the job.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
Poppers, Sliders & Divers
- What are the three categories you use to describe flies?
- What is more important size, color or shape?
- Why are flies like the Red Dart and Blowtorch so effective?
- How do you organize your fly boxes?
- What is a life cycle and why is it important to understand?
- What are the life cycles for mayflies, caddisflies, midges and stoneflies?
- What stages of the life cycles are the most productive for fishing?
- What flies work best to imitate the different stages?
- What places do you look to see what insects are active?
- How would you imitate daphnia?
- Is fly selection just as important as drift depth and presentation?
Steve Schweitzer dives deep in tying and fishing some of the most exciting flies to fish for topwater. Listen in to learn his secrets on designing and fishing poppers, sliders and divers.Fly Fishing the Finger Lakes Region of New York
Mike Hogue, a professional fly tier and fly shop owner, has fished the Finger Lakes region of New York for over 25 years. The lakes, unique unto themselves in beauty, offer salmon, rainbow trout and lake trout all available on the fly. Listen in as Mike takes us on a tour of this unusual fishing destination and shares his secrets to success in fishing in this area.
Single-Handed Fly Casting - A Modular Approach
- What finger lakes are the most important for fly fishing?
- Do you fish both the lakes, streams and tributaries?
- What species of fish can be targeted with a fly?
- What lake should you fish if you want to catch a Lake Trout on the fly?
- Are there migratory rainbow runs on all the lakes?
- What time of year do each of the migratory runs happen?
- Which lake has the famous Brown Drake hatch?
- What type of boat is the best to use on the lakes?
- What type and size of flies work best for the salmon?
Jason Borger knows fly casting he was almost born with a fly rod in his hand. Through slow motion video he's broken down the elements of making the perfect cast and uses it teach others. Join us and find out about Jason's modular approach to learning fly casting.Fly Fishing Trout Lakes Part II: A Biologist's Point Of View
Brian Chan is back for Part II of Fly Fishing Trout Lakes. We had so many questions for his intial show that we had to schedule a special extended edition to get through the questions. If you thought the first show was great wait until you see what we have in store for you in this one.
Learn more about fly fishing and listen to our podcasts by these top experts...Join Us on Our Next LIVE Broadcast!
Enter your information to get notified of our upcoming information packed interviews.
The Orvis Guide to Prospecting for Trout: How to Catch Fish When There's No Hatch to Match, Revised EditionCopyright © 2022 Ask About Fly Fishing | As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases through links from this website.