Top Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Destinations
Fly Fisher, Guide, Fly Tier
Rick Nyles started guiding in 1999 and has since grown his guide service to eight guides in Pennsylvania. His knowledge of Pennsylvania fisheries is deep and wide. Join us to talk about a few of the top Pennsylvania fisheries you want to add to your bucket list.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What books can you recommend that detail Pennsylvania waters?
- I'm coming to fish in Pennsylvania for the first time where should I go to maximize my trip?
- Where and when should I go to hit the Green Drake hatch?
- How do the state laws affect public access to the rivers and creeks?
- I want to swing wet flies to increase my fish numbers; where should I go to do this?
- What rivers or streams are the best for smallmouth bass fishing?
- What are the prime waters in the State College area?
- What's Penns Creek known for most?
- What are the top flies that you recommend for fishing Pennsylvania waters?
- What river would you fish in the Johnstone area?
- How do you get away from the crowds?
- What are the top rivers and creeks in Eastern Pennsylvania?
- What species of trout is Pennsylvania known most for?
- What are your tips for fishing the Lehigh River?
More about Rick Nyles...
Listen to the Show...
Fly Fishing for Monster Browns on Streamers
Fly Fisher, Fly Tier, Guide
Christy McReynolds knows how to hook up with monster brown trout on the fly. She’s a lifelong angler and has developed her skills on the South Holston and Watauga Rivers in East Tennessee, where she and her husband Jason run their guide service FlyingSoHo. Join us and learn her secrets to finding, hooking up, and landing these fish of a lifetime.
More about Christy McReynolds...
Ask Christy McReynolds your most important questions on fly fishing for monster browns on streamers...
Register for our free drawing.
7:00 PM (MT)
- Fly Fishing Glacier National Park
Russ Schnieder has worked as a fishing, hiking and rafting guide in Glacier for more than 25 years. He will be sharing his intimate knowledge of this fly fisher’s paradise. Join us to learn about the park and how to enjoy all it offers to fly fishers.
- Fly Fishing the Bighorn River
Michael Mastrangelo is a professional guide on the Bighorn River in Montana, which is considered one of the finest rivers in the world for fly fishing. Listen it to hear Michael share his secrets about fly fishing this incredible fishery.
- Randy Wayne White Tells All (maybe)
Randy Wayne White is a New York Times bestselling author of forty-five novels. Randy was a light tackle fishing guide at Tarpon Bay Marina, Sanibel Island for 13-years, did more than 3,000 charters, and draws heavily on those experiences for his novels about marine biologist Doc Ford and his quirky pals at Dinkin's Bay. His series of novels about fishing guide Hannah Smith has also received critical acclaim. Join us to learn about Randy's writing career, how he started, where he gets ideas, what motivates him and of course they'll be a few humorous stories about his travels in the fishing world.
- High Stick Nymphing
Kelly Galloup, a professional guide in Montana, talks about high stick nymphing and reading the water. Join us to learn techniques that will fine tune your nymphing presentations and hook you up with more fish.
- Tigerfish in Tanzania
Jeff Currier loves adventure fly fishing and is back at it again chasing tigerfish in Tanzania. Listen in to learn about fishing for this exotic species.
Paul Weamer, a professional guide and author, having fished both the eastern and western United States teaches us about the “Bugs”. Matching the hatch is always challenging but Paul knows how to simplify it so that you can quickly and easily identify the insects and pick the right fly to imitate them. Join us and learn entomology the easy way.
- The Hunt For Giant Trout
Landon Mayer has fished and researched many of the best places to catch giant trout. Fishing locations from Alaska to Maine Landon has created the ultimate bucket list of places to fish. Join us and discover what makes these fisheries so special and learn the secrets to catching monster trout.
- Tenkara - The Traditional Japanese Method of Fly Fishing
Daniel Galhardo founded Tenkara USA in 2009 and has brought the traditional Japanese method of fly-fishing where only a rod, line and fly are used to the US. Tenkara is about fly-fishing simplicity and mountain-stream effectiveness. Eleven to fourteen foot long rods allow anglers to fish mountain streams in a way that is nearly impossible with western fly gear. Listen to learn about the history, philosophy and of course the strategies and techniques of using the Tenkara system.
- Tailwaters of the Uncompahgre River
Matt McCannel, a professional guide, introduces us to the tailwaters of the Uncompahgre River (Paco). On the western slope of the Colorado Rockies, this tailwater yields incredible trophy browns and rainbow. Browns exceeding the 20-pound mark lurk in the shadows of boulders and stumps. Join us as Matt guides us down the river and shares his secrets to catching these monster fish.
Questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What's the best time of year to catch the trophy browns and rainbows?
- How do you find the trophy fish?
- What type of water do they inhabit?
- Do they attack streamers?
- What do they eat?
- What are the top three fly patterns that attract the big fish?
- Does Euro nymphing work for these fish?
- How accurate does your presentation have to be to get good takes?
Check out this video: Matt McCannel Sight Fishing Paco's Trophy Trout
- Trout - Hidden in Plain View
Duane Redford will delves into what the top 10% of anglers are seeing and doing differently from the fly fishing masses, and how they are consistently putting fish in the net in every situation. Join us and learn from a master angler how to increase your odds of catching more trout.
- Fly Fishing The Island of Hokkaido, Japan
Rick Wallace is a well-traveled Australian fly fisher who lived and fished the island of Hokkaido, Japan extensively for four years. Unknown to many fly fishers taimen, rainbow trout, char and salmon are all prime targets on the island of Hokkaido. Taimen can get as large as one meter! Listen in to learn more about this fishery and find out where, when and how to fish this northernmost island in Japan.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What fly fishing opportunities are there on the island?
- Where is the best place to stay on Hokkaido?
- What is the best time of year to fish on the island?
- Is the taimen found on Hokkaido similar to those in Mongolia?
- What is the best way to fish for taimen?
- What flies do you use for taimen?
- Where do you fish for rainbows and char?
- When is the best time to fish for salmon?
To hire local Japanese guides for fishing on Hokkaido visit Trout & King.
Rick Takahashi considers terrestrials one of the world's most effective patterns. It's a broad category of food from land-dwelling insects to mice and they are in almost every stream and lake around the world. Listen in to learn about tying and fishing terrestrials that will work no matter where you fish.
- Sight Fishing for Trout Revisited
Seeing trout is a learned skill and Landon Mayer has perfected it. Ed Engle thinks Landon maybe part osprey but I’m sure he’s got some heron in him too, either way, he can see fish and can teach you how to as well. Listen to this podcast and learn how to see more fish on your next trip.
- Tackling Tailwaters
Terry Gunn lives and guides on one of the most beautiful tailwaters in the world at Lee's Ferry on the Colorado River. Tailwaters provide exceptional fishing and knowing how to fish them can make or break your day. Listen in and learn Terry's secrets to getting the most out of your day on a tailwater.
- Big Redfish in the Louisiana Bayous
Alec Griffin was hooked on redfish his second day in New Orleans and was amazed at their ferocity when attacking a fly. He's been chasing them ever since. Learn Alec's secrets about hooking up with big redfish on a fly.
Learn more about fly fishing and listen to our podcasts by these top experts...