Strategies & Techniques for Stillwaters
Fly Fisher/Fly Tier/Author
Denny Rickards has been studying trout behavior in stillwaters for over 40 years. He's always learning new things about the aquatic life forms that trout eat and then develops strategies and techniques he can use to mimic their activity. Join us on this podcast to hear about Denny's latest new findings which will help you to catch more fish in stillwaters.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What is the best time of day to fish stillwaters?
- How do you change your tactics throughout the day?
- Will you have more success if you fish from a kick boat or float tube than from shore?
- Are depth finders useful?
- Do you use UV materials in your flies?
- What are the three most important design aspect of flies?
- What type of line do you use and what types of tips do you use?
- What development stage of insects gets more strikes larva, pupa or adults?
- What is the best way to fish pupa?
- How do you determine what depth the fish are at?
- What is the most productive depth for getting strikes?
- If a fish follows your fly will it strike on a follow-up cast?
More about Denny Rickards...
Listen to the Show...
Skeena River - Steelhead Dreams
Fly Fisher, Guide, Fly Tier
Gill Mckean has been guiding on the world-famous Skeena River for more than 25 years. He’s guided a client to massive steelhead estimated at 34 pounds and has personally landed many in the 30-pound range. Join us to learn from Gill about this incredible fishery and of course how to land that steelhead of a lifetime.
More about Gill Mckean...
Ask Gill Mckean your most important questions on fly fishing the Skeena River...
Register for our free drawing.
7:00 PM (MT)
- Fly Fishing For King Salmon In Alaska
Pete has fished all over the world and has 4 IGFA world records on the fly as proof of his expertise. Join us on this podcast and learn about fly fishing for the king of north the Alaskan king salmon.Fly Fishing for Atlantic Salmon
Paul Marriner shares his 25+ years of experience fly fishing for Atlantic Salmon. Learn his secrets about tactics, flies, casting and playing this classic trophy fish.Seasons of the Arkansas River
Taylor Edrington, a professional guide, literally grew up on the Arkansas River in Colorado. His lifetime of experience on the river is invaluable to any fly fisher wanting to conquer this great river. Join us as Taylor walks us through the different seasons and how to effectively fish those seasons.Conejos River Magic
Jon Harp has guided fly fishers for over 17 years on the Conejos River in southern Colorado. Discover one of the last pristine, undeveloped river systems in the West and learn about the big wild brown and rainbow trout you can hook into.Fly Fishing the Green River
Kevin Clegg, a professional guide, has been guiding on the Green River in Utah for over 20 years. His knowledge of this exquisite fishery is deep and wide. Outstanding fly fishing and scenery make this fishery one for your bucket list. Join us as Kevin shares his secrets about this great piece of water.Magdalena Bay: Baja's Hidden Secret
Mike Rieser, a well know guide in Mexico, takes us on a tour of Magdelena Bay in Baja and its hundreds of miles of mangrove channels, pristine beaches and fabled Thetis Banks. Snook, corvina, spotted bass, cabrilla, golden trevally, grouper, pargo, bonefish, roosterfish, yellow tail, skip jack, dorado, yellowfin tuna, wahoo, billfish and more all await your cast. Join use to find out about the best way to take part in this exciting and remote fishery.Tactical Nymphing - Euro Style
Devin Olsen, a medal winning member of Fly Fishing Team USA, shares the modern day nymphing techniques he and Lance Eagan use to catch fish in the European style. When competing on an international basis you have to be good and have to know how to adapt. Join us to find out how it's done.European Nymphing
Aaron Jasper has found through countless hours of testing and practice that European nymphing techniques require an investment in time to learn but are very often unequaled in their fish catching potential. Find out Aaron's secrets as he explains a variety of Euro-Nymphing techniques including short leader Czech methods to longer leader Spanish and French techniques. Find out Aaron's secrets as he explains a variety of Euro-Nymphing techniques including short leader Czech methods to longer leader Spanish and French techniques.Yellowstone - Fly Fishing Paradise
Craig Mathews has fished Yellowstone National Park for over 30 years. Learn from Craig where, when and how to fish this incredibly beautiful and diverse fly fishing destination.Saltwater Fly Design Techniques
Bob Popovics is well known among salt water fly tiers to say the least and his designs are not only innovative but effective. The process of fly creation is a living, organic one and not a mechanical one for Bob, he doesn’t tie so much as he creates. If you’re looking for some tips on tying some great salt water patterns join us as we try to unravel Bob’s brain and get to the bottom of great fly creation.Tarpon On The Worm
Bruce Chard, a professional guide the Florida Keys, takes us for a ride through the palolo worm hatch. This once a year event will get anyone's adrenaline pounding. Join us to find out where, when and how to fish this incredible event.Fly Fishing the Bighorn River
Michael Mastrangelo is a professional guide on the Bighorn River in Montana, which is considered one of the finest rivers in the world for fly fishing. Listen it to hear Michael share his secrets about fly fishing this incredible fishery.Catching Shadows
Rich Strolis, a signature fly tyer for Montana Fly Company, designs and ties flies with a purpose. The toughest fish require a different approach and different flies. Listen in and learn about Rich's unique designs and how to fish them.Fly Fishing the Finger Lakes Region of New York
Mike Hogue, a professional fly tier and fly shop owner, has fished the Finger Lakes region of New York for over 25 years. The lakes, unique unto themselves in beauty, offer salmon, rainbow trout and lake trout all available on the fly. Listen in as Mike takes us on a tour of this unusual fishing destination and shares his secrets to success in fishing in this area.
New Mexico's Trout Waters
- What finger lakes are the most important for fly fishing?
- Do you fish both the lakes, streams and tributaries?
- What species of fish can be targeted with a fly?
- What lake should you fish if you want to catch a Lake Trout on the fly?
- Are there migratory rainbow runs on all the lakes?
- What time of year do each of the migratory runs happen?
- Which lake has the famous Brown Drake hatch?
- What type of boat is the best to use on the lakes?
- What type and size of flies work best for the salmon?
Spencer Seim has been guiding in northern New Mexico since 1995 and calls the Cimarron River, Rio Grande, Costilla Creek, and Ute Creek his home waters. Listen in to hear where and when to come to this picture perfect area and find out how to best fish these mountain waters.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- What are the top three most scenic and productive trout streams in northern New Mexico?
- What is the best time of year to fish northern New Mexico?
- Where can you catch the native Rio Grande Cutthroat trout?
- What is Rio Costilla Creek best known for?
- What is the special hatch that occurs on the Cimmarron River?
- What river has an incredible trico hatch?
- What river is known for its awesome dry fly fishing?
- What is Spencer's connection to the book "The Feather Thief"?
Learn more about fly fishing and listen to our podcasts by these top experts...Join Us on Our Next LIVE Broadcast!
Enter your information to get notified of our upcoming information packed interviews.Copyright © 2021 Ask About Fly Fishing | As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases through links from this website.