Casting Forward, Onward, and Seaward
Fly Fisher, Naturalist, Author
Steve Ramirez is a fly fisher, writer, educator, master naturalist, philosopher, and outdoor adventurer. He's traveled four continents writing about fishing, landscapes, human cultures, and the natural world. He's written for many of the major periodicals and is publishing his latest book Casting Seaward. This book is the third in a book series that started with Casting Forward and was followed by Casting Onward. Join us and hear Steve's thoughts on fly fishing, conservation, restoration, and his hopes for the future of planet earth.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- When did you start writing?
- What effect do your previous careers have on your writing today?
- What do you use fly fishing as the basis for your stories?
- What are your books about and what effect do you hope they'll have on your readers?
- Does writing energize you or exhaust you?
- Do you make notes during a trip and then write about it later?
- How do you think your writing will help the natural world?
- Where and when do you write?
- In all your travels what was the most challenging species, you fished for?
- Of all the places you've traveled and fished, what is the most memorable?
- What can we do as fly fishers to help combat global warming?
- As humans are we working to conserve, preserve, or destroy our natural world?
- Do you think the world would be better off without humans?
- Do you think we can reverse the current trends that adversely affect our environment?
More about Steve Ramirez...
Listen to the Show...
Silver Creek – The Legend and Its Future
Fly Fisher, Writer, Conservationist
Matthew Miller is the director of science communications for The Nature Conservancy and has fished Silver Creek countless times. Silver Creek is well known for testing the skills of many an accomplished fly fisher so Matt’s tips for fishing it will be invaluable. Join us and learn about fishing this legendary fishery and what changes are taking place that may affect the future of this spring creek.
More about Matthew Miller...
Ask Matthew Miller your most important questions on fly fishing Silver Creek...
Register for our free drawing.
7:00 PM (MT)
- Persuading Permit
Bruce Chard is in the business of persuading permit to take his fly and he won't take 'No' for an answer. Listen to this show to find out Bruce's insider secrets of persuasion.
- Angling the World
Roy Tanami is a leading international outdoor photographer who has traveled the world in search of fish to catch on the fly and beautiful photographs to capture the experiences. He's been to Kamchatka, Brazil, New Zealand, Mongolia and many more wild places. As a traveling fly angler, he's experienced the good, the challenging and the wonderful things you encounter while traveling and fishing. Join us to hear about Roy's travels, experiences and how he's able to capture the world and fly fishing in his stunning photographs.
- How to Get a Grand Slam in the Salt
Rick Hartman a professional guide on the Texas coast who specializes in redfish. Listen in to Rick's secrets on hooking up with the big ones.
- Colorado’s Greenback Cutthroat Trout
Once thought to be extinct, Colorado's famed greenback cutthroat trout is now in the process of making a remarkable comeback. Listen in to hear how Jim Rubingh and Richard Fritz explored Colorado in search of the greenback cutthroat, where they found them and the best strategies for putting one on your prized catch list.
- Want To Be A Fly Fishing Guide?
Zach Lazzari worked as a professional guide for 10 years in places like Colorado, Montana, Alaska and Patagonia. If you’ve always wanted to know about what it’s like to be a guide tune in to this show. Zach will give you the inside scoop on getting your first job, living like a guide, the great times you will have and the not so great time you may have.
- Tying Streamers: Tips and Techniques
Charlie Craven is a master fly tier and has figured out the best fly tying techniques for just about any challenge. His latest book Tying Streamers addresses the techniques used to tie both classic and modern streamer patterns. Charlie is always a great source for good tips on tying so join us to find out what he’s discovered about the best way to tie streamers.
Just a few of the questions asked and answered during the interview:
- How do you make wooly buggers more durable?
- What is the best way to tie in a palmered hackle?
- Are articulated patterns more effective than non-articulated patterns?
- What are your favorite materials for tying streamers?
- What are the three most important triggers when tying streamers?
- Do you prefer streamers that are thick and dense or sparse and thin?
- How do you keep streamers from fouling?
- How do you choose a hook for your streamers?
- What are your considerations for choosing streamers for different water types?
- Spring Creek Strategies
Mike Heck, a professional guide and master of spring creek fly fishing, shares the tactics and techniques he uses everyday to catch tough, selective trout in these waters.
- Top Ten Smallmouth Bass Flies and How to Fish Them
Brad Miller has fished smallmouth for over thirty years on some of the most hallowed waters in the Midwest and Canada. If you want to catch more smallmouth listen in as Brad goes through the top ten flies that have been written about, tested and voted upon by guides, experts and everyday anglers. He'll tell you what they are and how to fish them.
- Are You Making Mistakes Fly Fishing?
Sara Low, a professional guide in New York, has seen just about every mistake her clients could possibly make. She'll help you with fly-fishing techniques and help you to break bad habits. Common issues include correctly approaching fish, improving fly selection, proper presentation, consistent and accurate casting, efficient hooking and landing of fish. Join us and learn how to correct those bad habits you might not even know about.
- Making the Right Connection Between Natural Insects and Artificial Flies
Rick Hafele, a retired aquatic biologist, has studied and fished freshwater streams and rivers for over 40 years. He’s an expert on connecting the dots between the natural world of insects and the artificial world of flies. Listen in to learn how to recognize hatches, pick the right flies and be more successful on your favorite trout stream or river.
- Daniel Ritz Attempts Western Native Trout Challenge
Daniel Ritz is fly fishing across the Western United States in an attempt to accomplish the Master Caster class of the Western Native Trout Challenge. His goal is to land each of the 20 native trout species in their historical ranges of the 12 states in the West. Join us to find out how Daniel is doing with the challenge, learn about what it takes to participate and hear about a few experiences he's had along the way. Maybe you'll get inspired and want to try it yourself!
- Smallmouth Bass with a Big Bite!
Randy Ratliff's home waters are in Eastern Tennessee and he's fished these waters most of his life. An Orvis endorsed professional guide Randy knows what it takes to get smallmouth bass on the fly. Listen in and learn Randy's secrets for hooking up with the smallies with a big bite.
- Behemoths of the Great Lakes
Joe is well known for catching big, big brown trout. He's guided many fly fishers over the years to the Lake Ontario and Lake Erie tributaries to catch these awesome fish. What many don't know is that during the fall spawning run of brown's you can also fly fish for king salmon and steelhead. Join Joe on this podcast and find out his secrets about fly fishing for these coveted trophies.
- Tying the Classic Salmon Fly
Mike Radencich has been tying the classic salmon fly since 1990. These flies are the most beautiful of all fishing flies. They are truly cativating whether fished on big water or proudly framed and displayed. Listen to Mike share over 20 years's experience in both tying and photographing these exquisite flies.
- Common Sense Fly Fishing
Eric Sroup is a professional guide and he's determined to make his fly fishing clients successful on every trip. Listen in as Eric shares the same information he shares with his clients everyday on how to catch more trout - practical common sense techniques.
Learn more about fly fishing and listen to our podcasts by these top experts...